Thursday, July 19, 2007

Lesson 11 - School 2.0

What struck me most about the School 2.0 map is how much of it already seems to exist in Hilton. I've worked in districts whose e-mail system doesn't even function consistently, so I have a deep appreciation for the level of technology programs here.
I had reservations about the virtual frog dissection and "IM"-ing something to the virtual whiteboard. I realize that some kids are squeamish about dissection, so I guess there would be a value in the ability to use these devices. It just seemed somehow that these particular students in the map were stepping away from reality. (Perhaps I just need some time to get used to these ideas.)
What would I change? I noticed that, although the administrators were obviously very supportive of the technology involved, I didn't see any of them actually putting the technology to use. It left me wondering whether these people were as widely connected as the students appear to be! If schools in some other countries really are ahead of us in the use of technology, shouldn't administrators be consulting with them?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with your comments about administrators. In the US we consider ourselves lucky if our administration supports technology use. However, there are still many, many administrators who, although they support technology in their schools, are not really very savvy technology users. We definitely need to work on changing that if the US education system is to forge ahead.

DianeS said...

I agree that our opportunities in Hilton for learning and trying to use technology are fantastic. If only it could be what we are told to focus on, instead of a new theme each year in terms of initiatives.

irish said...

I agree with the comment about the administrators and also how Hilton is doing a great job with technology. I think anyone who is a stakeholder with this model should be "up" on the latest technology. I am always amazed at the things our district offers us in the area of technology. I think it is a great department and this course is also one that I have found interesting, challenging and one that gets me to think of the future in my field and how I can enhance the learning of my students.